Thursday, February 19, 2009

party weekend

I had a party oriented weekend last weekend. The facultad threw some sort of valentines day party, the Mexican name of (día de amor y amistad) also inclues friendship, which is nice. It was nice, because I met a lot of Mexicans. Only at Grinnell parties have I seen as much free booze everywhere, and if there's one thing I cannot resist it is someone very friendly shoving a bottle or cup in my face. In a world like that, it's surprisingly easy to make friends.

As I said, I met a lot of kids, most of which are in my Functionalism and Structuralism class. After the official facultad party ended we all hopped on a bus to the centro and tried to go to the facultad de arqitectura party only to learn that they're tight-asses and wouldn't let anyone in (???). This was a stark contrast to the communal atmosphere which I had just left. No matter, the festivities continued in a few different local watering-holes.

The following evening, I visited a club again. It was a friend's birthday. This time, I unfortunately had less fun. A few things I learned about these pay to get in and then drink as much as you can for free clubs contributed to my ambiguous mood. First, the alcohol they serve is lower quality, possibly akin to rubbing alcohol. The sad thing is that non-ethanol alcohol (vs. ethanol, which we use both for drinking and biofuel)is more toxic to the human body and less intoxicating. We got a table, and a free bottle of vodka, which claimed to be Smirnoff but smelled more like rubbing alcohol. Seconly, some clubs put ether in the ice they give to Americans, or just simply drug them so that local scam artists will be able to get them to go home with them and rob them. Fortunately, this didn't happen to me, but the suspicious liquor was enough to make me keep my distance, and not drink to elevation, as many of my peers did.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That is insanity. Serving non-ethanol and drugging your ice with ether? You guys are partying on a whole other level down there.